[Air-l] ethical issues in chat room research

Charles Ess cmess at drury.edu
Sat Jun 11 00:34:22 PDT 2005

I will be happy - when I return to the States on Monday - to go over this in
detail -
but on first glance, most, if not all of these questions are explicitly
addressed in the AoIR guidelines, so it may not be out of place to suggest
that your colleague have a look at those as a start.

apologies for the hurry - I'm literally running out the door for the
airport...

-- charles

> a friend and fellow PhD, Tutku Aydin, has asked to pass this question to
> you. if you have responses for her could you send them directly to
> tutku.aydin at utoronto.ca.
>
> In particular, if any of Barry's students have had to deal with these
> issues in the context of UofT's "ethics review" requirement, i assume
> that'd be particularly helpful for her.
>
> thanks,
> reuven
>
> <begin pasted section>
>
> My research involves transnational ethnic identity formation through the
> discursive interactions over the internet.
>
> What is the standard related to quoting people in a
> chatroom or in a discussion list on the internet? When you become a
> member of
> the list should you identify yourself as an observer of the list? Should
> you
> ask for informed consent of the people with a letter if you are quoting,
> or
> paraphrasing people? Or are these chat or discussion environments are
> considered public billboards and people should be aware that they can be
> quoted when writing to those places? Is it ok to quote people or
> paraphrase
> people by using (double)pseudonyms so that they cannot be easily
> identifiable?
>
> <end pasted section>
>
> Reuven Shlozberg
> Political Science
> University of Toronto

Charles Ess

Distinguished Research Professor, Interdisciplinary Studies
Drury University
900 N. Benton Ave.              Voice: 417-873-7230
Springfield, MO  65802  USA       FAX: 417-873-7435
Home page:  http://www.drury.edu/ess/ess.html
Co-chair, CATaC: http://www.it.murdoch.edu.au/catac/

Professor II, Globalization and Applied Ethics Programmes
NO-7491 Trondheim, Norway
http://www.anvendtetikk.ntnu.no/pres/bridgingcultures.php

Exemplary persons seek harmony, not sameness. -- Analects 13.23