[Air-l] Technical competence

Ellis Godard egodard at csun.edu
Tue Jun 7 12:21:39 PDT 2005

Just because some folks are applying advanced techniques to data,
doesn't mean that anyone (much less everyone) else needs to understand
those techniques. Frequently, methods employed in the social sciences
surpass the theoretical maturity available. Perhaps I'm archaic to think
that techniques should test ideas, rather than generate them. But even
factor analysis and stepwise regression give me pause - not because I
lack the technical competence, but because sampling deviations may
generate findings that won't hold beyond the available sample.

-eg