[Air-l] utopian / dystopian

Barry Wellman wellman at chass.utoronto.ca
Mon Mar 14 10:55:08 PST 2005

REe utopian / dystopian,

Milena Gulia & I do a 4 page riff on that from early in the internet age,
at the front of our "Net Surfers Don't Ride Alone" [still my favorite
article title]. It's on my website, and published in Kollock-Smith
_Communities in Cyberspace_ and with some revisions in my edited _Networks
in the Global Village_. Most of the article is an exasperated shout at
comp sci folks who write about "community" online without any realization
that there is a century of relevant scholarly research/lore about how
communities function.

 Barry

	  () ASCII ribbon campaign -- don't use HTML email
          /\