[Air-l] Re: Ethnomethodology and Internet Research

Sean Rintel er8430 at albany.edu
Thu Mar 31 08:12:57 PST 2005

Steffen Bueffel asked:

> I'm a looking for key articles/ publications on ethnomethological approaches
> to Internet research. Are there any "classics" and/ or more recent
> publications you can recommend? Any help would be highly appreciated!

With a slightly broader brief than just "Internet" research, look up
work by:

Paul Dourish
Christian Heath
Paul Luff
Graham Button
Brigitte Jordan
Andy Crabtree
Lucy Suchman

Also, Denise N. Rall recently asked for "a body of analysis on chat
using CA techniques....", which is a similar question. I provided the
following list (and I have added a couple). As I said then, some are not
strictly CA, but are close qualitiative analysis. The ones that identify
themselves as using some version of CA I have marked with an asterisk:

Bechar-Israeli, H. (1995). From (Bonehead) to (cLoNehEAd): Nicknames,
play and identity on Internet relay chat. Journal of Computer-Mediated
Communication, 1(2). http://jcmc.indiana.edu/vol1/issue2/bechar.html

Danet, B., Ruedenberg-Wright, L., & Rosenbaum-Tamari, Y. (1997).
"HMMM...WHERE'S THAT SMOKE COMING FROM?" Writing, play and performance
on Internet Relay Chat. Journal of Computer-Mediated Communication,
2(4). http://jcmc.indiana.edu/vol2/issue4/danet.html

Herring, S. C. (1999). Interactional coherence in CMC. Journal of
Computer-Mediated Communication, 4(4).
http://jcmc.indiana.edu/vol4/issue4/herring.html

Marvin, L. E. (1995). Spoof, spam, lurk and lag: The aesthetics of
text-based virtual realities. Journal of Computer-Mediated
Communication, 1(2). http://jcmc.indiana.edu/vol1/issue2/marvin.html

* Rintel, E.S., Pittam, J., & Mulholland, J. 2003. Time will tell:
Ambiguous non-responses on Internet Relay Chat. The Electronic Journal
of Communication / La Revue Electronique de Communication, 13, (1)
<http://www.cios.org/www/ejc/v13n1.htm>

* Rintel, E.S., Mulholland, J., & Pittam, J. 2001. First things first:
Internet Relay Chat openings. Journal of Computer-Mediated
Communication, 6, (3). <http://www.ascusc.org/jcmc/vol6/issue3/>

McKay, S., & Rintel, E.S. 2001. Online Television Forums: Interactivity,
Access, and Transactional Space. The Electronic Journal of Communication
/ La Revue Electronique de Communication,11, (2).
<http://www.cios.org/www/ejc/v11n201.htm>

Rintel, E. S. & Pittam, J. 1997. Strangers in a strange land:
Interaction management on Internet Relay Chat. Human Communication
Research, 23, 507 - 534.

Rodino, M. (1997). Breaking out of binaries: Reconceptualizing gender
and its relationship to language in computer-mediated communication.
Journal of Computer-Mediated Communication, 3(3).
http://jcmc.indiana.edu/vol3/issue3/rodino.html

* Vallis, Rhyll (1999) ‘Members' methods for entering and leaving
#IRCbar: a conversation analytic study of internet relay chat’. In: K.
Chalmers, S. Bogitini and P. Renshaw (eds), Educational Research in New
Times. Flaxton: PostPressed, 117-27

* Vallis, Rhyll (2001) ‘Applying membership categorization analysis to
chat-room talk’. In: A. McHoul and M. Rapley (eds), How to Analyse Talk
in Institutional Settings: A Casebook of Methods. London: Continuum, 86-99

--
Sean Rintel
Department of Communication