[Air-l] classic dys/utopian statements

Janna Anderson andersj at elon.edu
Thu Mar 10 10:58:54 PST 2005

You can look at the Predictions Database to get a wealth of such
information. I suggest you first look at the categories of topics and
subtopics into which the quotations have been sorted:

http://www.elon.edu/predictions/predictioncategories.aspx

Then go to the advanced search page and select the subtopic and topic areas
in which you would expect to find the quotes you desire:

http://www.elon.edu/predictions/advanced.aspx

Another method would be to search the database by using the names of
individuals with either the dystopian (Clifford Stoll, Sven Birkerts) or
utopian (Negroponte, Gates) viewpoints.

The book I'll have coming out this summer from Rowman & Littlefield -
"Imagining the Internet" - will have an entire chapter on "Knocking the
'Net" as well as many of the gushy quotes of the early '90s in its support.

Janna

--
Janna Quitney Anderson
Assistant Professor of Communications