[Air-l] classic dys/utopian statements

Louise Ferguson louise.ferguson at gmail.com
Sun Mar 13 03:04:51 PST 2005

On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 11:47:25 -0600, Nancy Baym <nbaym at ku.edu> wrote:
> A dual question:
>
> Has anyone got particular favorite utopain or dystopian
> statements/landmarks about the internet? (preferably with citation)
> I'm thinking of things like famous ads promising us liberation from
> race age etc, Negroponte's "Being Digital," as well as quotations.
>
> -or-
>
> Does anyone know of any papers or lists tracing the uptopian or
> dystopian highlights of rhetoric about the internet?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Nancy

You could try revisiting the Wired Manifesto (1996)
http://www.tomski.com/archive/WIRED_2_10_The_Wired_Manifesto.html

and I´m sure there´s something of interest in Andy Hobsbawm´s 10 Years
On, published in 2003...Though Agency.com seems to have removed it
from its website:
http://www.agency.com/10yearson
you might find it posted somewhere else.

Louise Ferguson