[Air-l] we need a new word? (Intern)

Laurent Straskraba laurent at straskraba.net
Sun Mar 20 09:06:28 PST 2005

Yes, one thing is the technological basis, the other thing is the use of it
- and these two areas are interrelated with each other.

Anything is possible as long as it's connecting devices (and users) on a
decentralized basis. It depends on *you* what to do with it, i.e.
communicating, sharing, organizing, testing, etc. So it can be cmc, p2p, a
tool to find any kind of information (things you would and also you
wouldn't like to know about), and furthermore.

Just as a reminder:
It was in 1964, when Paul Baran introduced his work on "distributed
communications". That's were it started to become reality.
http://www.rand.org/publications/RM/RM3420/RM3420.chapter1.html

BTW, the graphic there is quite good also to understand the shift within
societies from centralized to de-centralized to (more or less)
participatory ones. So, technology is influencing the shaping of society
and also the other way round.

Best,
Laurent

At 14:07 20.03.2005, you wrote:
>many of the descriptions so far take 'communication' as a the noun, and
>while this is fine for some descriptions of some events, it tends to leave
>out much of the rest of the ecological systems that these in
>which these technics are enmeshed.  the objects that barry brought up,
>were systems and technologies, onto which communication can be mapped,
>onto which media can be mapped, but I think it should be very obvious that
>when we are talking about their whole existence, from their origination to
>their use, that not every part of that will be mapped by communication
>and/or media.  most, but perhaps not all of their human use could be said
>to be communication, but... what about installation, and interface, they
>seem to be mediated experiences that don't always pertain directly to
>communication, and while they might be mediated by speaker or screen, that
>mediation might not encapsulate the whole social imaginary that affects
>the world in which they are used.
>
>the internet is the general network we study, which is a network of
>networks, built on the principle that information can be encapsulated in
>packets, and routed by defining the endpoint, thus allowing the computers
>or relevant technologies to communicate.  computers and technologies have
>devices that mediate the information that they receive into user
>accessible experiences.  this is true insofaras I can determine, so
>internet technologies will always be information technologies, mediated
>technologies, and communication technologies in some respect.  however,
>the technologies exist through society, and individuals, both simplisticly
>as objects, but also in much more complicated ways, that affect our lives,
>cultures, etc. -- our mental ecology, our social ecology, and our
>environmental ecology.
>
>so, that's why I use "ICT" and then describe what I'm talking about
>further should the need arise.
>On Mar 20, 2005, at 4:05 AM, richard-seyler.ling at telenor.com wrote:
>
>Jeremy Hunsinger
>Center for Digital Discourse and Culture
>() ascii ribbon campaign - against html mail
>/\ - against microsoft attachments

>Join the Association of Internet Researchers: http://www.aoir.org/

---
Mag. Laurent Straskraba
Information Society Researcher

post: Ontlstrasse 3, A - 4040 Linz, Austria / Europe
mobile: +43.650.7711861 (GMT +1)
e-mail: laurent at straskraba.net
web: http://www.straskraba.net
---