[Air-l] "network of networks" - origin of

Laurent Straskraba laurent at straskraba.net
Sun Mar 20 12:25:07 PST 2005

That's very interesting. Thanks for the reference.

Actually, I thought it was going back to Vint Cerf and Bob Kahn but 1973
was the year, no doubt. While talking about origin, I remember Joseph C.R.
Licklider's (ARPA) concept of a "Galactic Network" going back to the early
1960s when also ideas of sociocybernetics came up - much influenced by
Norbert Wiener who wrote his book about Cybernetics in 1948 (!).

Best,
Laurent

At 21:16 20.03.2005, you wrote:
>In a recent post, Neil Randall referred to the internet as a "network of
>networks."
>
>In case anyone is interested, Paul Craven and I invented that term in our
>1973 article "The Network City." (in _Sociological Inquiry_ 43 (Winter):
>57-88. [Reprinted in _The Community_, edited by Marcia Effrat. New York:
>Free Press, 1974.]
>
>Way back then, we were referring to social networks, but the concept was
>the same as was later ported over to the internet (or independently
>re-invented).
>
>In short, we claim terminological priority!
>  Barry
>
>   Barry Wellman         Professor of Sociology        NetLab Director
>   wellman at chass.utoronto.ca  http://www.chass.utoronto.ca/~wellman
>
>   Centre for Urban & Community Studies          University of Toronto
>   455 Spadina Avenue    Toronto Canada M5S 2G8    fax:+1-416-978-7162
>              To network is to live; to live is to network

>http://www.aoir.org/

---
Mag. Laurent Straskraba
Information Society Researcher

post: Ontlstrasse 3, A - 4040 Linz, Austria / Europe
mobile: +43.650.7711861 (GMT +1)
e-mail: laurent at straskraba.net
web: http://www.straskraba.net
---