[Air-l] virtual rape?

Ren Reynolds ren at aldermangroup.com
Sat Mar 26 15:33:07 PST 2005

Kathy Mancuso > Who writes about virtual rape and sexual harassment
other than Julian Dibbell (or people arguing online about the mr bungle
case who get their facts from dibbell)?

I write on the same Blog as Julian Dibbell i.e. TerraNova. I've not
commented in writing on his case but I have written about virtual rape
in the context of digital games / virtual spaces.

In one piece I think I raised the thought experiment of the difference
between the graphic nature of the so call 'hooker cheat' in Grand Theft
Auto III (where one has virtual sex with a prostitute, pay her, then
kill her to get your money back, which both increases you heath and
retains you cash - thus while this is not forced game play it is a good
option if one is interested obtaining in the stated winning conditions
of the game) and a hypothetical game where the point is to commit as
many virtual rapes as possibly in a given time, but all that is
represented is turning a blip on the screen from one colour to anther by
contact with your blip. I think the point I was making was that from
some deontoligal stances (one can imagine ones that support the line
that any use of rape in the context of a game is wrong) the graphic
nature of the game does not make a whole lot of difference when
ethically evaluating them.

Secondly I've written about a game called Sociolotron
(www.sociolotron.com/) which is a fairly hard core BDSM type game, The
original piece MMO Sex Please we're Avatars
(terranova.blogs.com/terra_nova/2004/06/mmo_sex_please_.html) was picked
up by Wired News (www.wired.com/news/games/0,2101,63997-2,00.html) and
the UKs Guardian
(blogs.guardian.co.uk/games/archives/virtual_worlds/2004/07/the_underbel
ly_of_computer_gaming.html). Further down in the blog entry I added some
more commentary as although I was interviewed at length very little of
what I said got to print. In this I essentially argue that 'play'
spaces, in particular digital virtual ones, should not be infantilised
and emasculated even though some forms of adult play may very well be
disturbing to many.

Ren
www.renreynolds.com
terranova.blogs.com