[Air-l] Business history of Google?

Van-Couvering,EJ (pgr) E.J.Van-Couvering at lse.ac.uk
Sat Mar 5 00:56:24 PST 2005

Hi Steve,

My PhD research is about search engines.  To my knowledge, there is not
yet an in-depth history of Google or the industry as a whole (next
chapter), but here are some references you may find helpful:

http://battellemedia.com/- John Battelle, former editor of Wired
Magazine, is writing a book and blogs his research to date.  He isn't
talking so much about the business structure, but there are lots of
Google anecdotes.

Also, I wrote a paper that covers the industrial dynamics of the
industry, still waiting for word back from the journal I submitted to,
but here's the draft I presented at the IAMCR last year (and also in
modified form at AoIR): http://personal.lse.ac.uk/vancouve/research.htm
(under the 'conferences' section).  This talks about who the major
players are, what their revenue streams are, how advertising on search
differs from other media advertising and how it is the same, and whether
the current level of search provision serves the public good.  The
analysis is derived primarily from financial statements supplemented by
interviews I've done with search engine engineers, search engine
optimisers, and search distributors.

I have loads of other references if you want to follow up other aspects.

Regards,

Elizabeth