[Air-l] Union use of the Web

Sherida Ryan sherida at openflows.org
Mon Mar 14 06:55:03 PST 2005

Dear AoIRers,

I am a Ph.D. student working on a Social Sciences and Humanities Research
Council of Canada project.  The project is a union and university research
alliance that is examining the impact and the obstacles of socially
responsible investment of union pension funds and the role and educational
needs of union pension fund trustees.

Central to our project is the ongoing development of a website to provide
accessible informal education for unionists interested in pension fund
investment. As part of the website, we are also investigating the
possibility of developing an online forum for labour pension fund activists.

I am looking for literature and research examples that address union
activist use of websites and online forums. Specifically I am interested in
how the labour movement has used the Internet for both formal and informal
learning and any research that explores the development of online
communities of practice both within specific unions as well as across the
labour sector.

Any resources would be most helpful.
Thank you,

Sherida Ryan
Adult Education,
Ontario Institute for Studies in Education of the University of Toronto