[Air-l] Union use of the Web

Wainer Lusoli w.lusoli at lse.ac.uk
Mon Mar 14 07:11:05 PST 2005

Hi Sherida -

You really want to look at Richard Freeman's recent work on unions and
the Internet, funded under the UK eSociety programme
(http://www.london.edu/e-society/Projects/projects.html). Also, consider
Anne-Marie Green's work (http://www.geocities.com/e_collectivism/).

Some refs:

Darlington, R. (2001) 'The Creation of the E-Union: The Use of ICT by
British Trade Unions'. Paper presented to New Economy Conference,
Deutsche Postwerkschaft, Berlin, 1 February. Available at
http://members.lycos.co.uk/rogerdarlington/E-union.html

Diamond, W. and R. Freeman (2001) 'Will Unionism Prosper in Cyberspace?
The promise of the Internet for employee organisation', National Bureau
of Economic Research Working Paper No. W8483.

Greene, A-M., J. Hogan and M. Grieco (2000) 'E-Collectivism: Emergent
Opportunities for Renewal', in B. Stanford-Smith and P. K. Kidd (eds.)
E-Business: Key Applications, Processes and Technologies. Omsha: IOS
Press.

Greene, A-M., J. Hogan and M. Grieco (2001) 'E-collectivism and
Distributed Discourse: New Opportunities for Trade Union Democracy',
Paper presented to the TUC/LSE Conference on Unions and the Internet,
London 12th May.

Hodkinson, S. (2003) 'Problems @ Labour: Towards Net Internationalism?',
in Gibson, Rachel K., Roemelle, A. and Stephen J. Ward (eds.) Electronic
Democracy: Political Organisations, Mobilisation and Participation
Online. Routledge: London (forthcoming).

Hogan, J. and M. Grieco (1999) 'Trade unions on line: technology,
transparency and bargaining power'. Paper presented at a Workshop on
Cyber Ontology at the University of North London, October 1999.
Available at http://www.geocities.com/unionsonline

Lee, E. (1997) The Labour Movement and the Internet: the New
Internationalism. Pluto Press: London.

Lee, E. (2000) 'How the Internet is Changing Unions'. Online paper,
available at http://www.labourstart.org

Steve Ward and I had a paper two years ago on the subect, Dinosaurs in
Cyberspace? British Trade Unions and the Internet.  European Journal of
Communication, 2003 18(2), pp. 147-179. A preliminary version is on our
site www.ipop.org.uk then go to 'results'.

Anyone else?

Cheers

Wainer