[Air-l] we need a new word?

aoir.z3z at danah.org aoir.z3z at danah.org
Sat Mar 19 14:44:16 PST 2005

To complicate this matter a little more, what about mobility?  How can i
describe SMSing as CMC?  Yet, why on earth would i put it under a
different category than IMing?  And is SMSing Internet?  Not by any
mainstream understanding.

All too often our definitions are driven by the technologies, the
infrastructure and not the practices.  And then when technology changes we
go uh oh.  I really liked Genevieve Bell's discussion of how what some
countries call a mobile phone, others call a cell phone and still others
call a hand phone.  Finally, some countries are starting to talk about
phones (i.e. the mobile) and landlines.  Think about those different
approaches.  And why should it not surprise anyone that the only country
that talks about cell towers is the US (and the US annex ::wink:: Barry)?

That said what interests me most about definitional questions is how it
sends everyone into a tizzy.  I live between three worlds who are
determined to out-termify each other: social computing, social software,
CMC/groupware.  It's honestly hysterical.  I've decided to stop throwing
hissy fits that the terms they are using are problematic and actually
really consider how the developments that each claim as their own are
actually different.  Not surprisingly, the answer is not technology but
practice (both in design and usage).

If we want to talk terms, perhaps we should actually think about the
practices instead of the technology or infrastructure because they're
going to change more in 10 years than the dominant practices.

danah