[Air-l] Microsoft Word Spelling and Grammar Check Demonstration

Mark D. Johns johnsmar at luther.edu
Mon Mar 21 07:52:52 PST 2005

Sandeep Krishnamurthy wrote:
> Microsoft Word Spelling and Grammar Check Demonstration
> Sandeep Krishnamurthy
> sandeep at u.washington.edu http://faculty.washington.edu/sandeep
> http://sandeepworld.blogspot.com
>
> Too often, our students feel that running the "Spelling and Grammar
> check" feature on Microsoft Word is sufficient to ensure good writing.
> The paragraph shown below is designed to pass these checks... I would love
> to hear from WordPerfect and OpenOffice users as well.]

The following is done with WordPerfect 11 (not quite the latest version)
and doesn't quite pass. It flags one sentence, "Internet make good
brand." as incomplete, but doesn't have any suggestions for correction.
Better than Word, but only marginally so.

Markets are bad for brand.  McDonald is good brand.  McDonald's is good
brand.  McDonald’s are good brand.  McDonald is good brand.  Finance
well for marketing.  4P's are marketing mix.  I use marketing mixes for
good marketing.  Internet does good jobs.  Internet help marketing.
Internet make good brand.  Gates do good marketing in Microsoft. Gates
build the big brand in Microsoft.  The Gates is the leader of big
company in Washington.  Warren buffet does awesome jobs in marketing.
Buffets eat buffets.
--
Mark D. Johns, Ph.D.
Asst. Professor of Communication/Linguistics,