[Air-l] References to the dark side of mobile technology?

O''Riordan, Kate k.oriordan at lancaster.ac.uk
Tue Mar 22 05:04:47 PST 2005

Hi Ylva

This may be taking your enquiry too literally but one 'dark side' could be issues of perceptions of public health. Debates about this and mobile telephony, in the UK, seem to be centred around the Stewart Report which seems to have drawn from a previous report from Sweden - these are also linked to current WHO research and EU recommendations.  I have put what links I have below.  I hope this is useful.

All the best
Kate

In the UK Stewart Report on Mobile Phones:
http://www.iegmp.org.uk/report/text.htm

The Swerdlow Report, Advisory Group on Non-Ionising Radiation (AGNIR), ?Health effects from radiofrequency electromagnetic fields?, 2003.
www.nrpb.org

In Sweden: http://www.ssi.se/
Swedish Radiation Protection Authority: First annual report from SSI"s Independent Expert Group on Electromagnetic Fields (18 December 2003)

Council of Europe recomends

31999H0519
1999/519/EC: Council Recommendation of 12 July 1999 on the limitation of exposure of the general public to electromagnetic fields (0 Hz to 300 GHz)
Official Journal L 199 , 30/07/1999 P. 0059 - 0070
http://europa.eu.int/smar