[Air-l] Internet vs. WWW

Edward Bilodeau edward.bilodeau at gmail.com
Tue Mar 22 06:29:12 PST 2005

On Mon, 21 Mar 2005 18:24:48 -0500, reuven shlozberg
<fzusher at warpmail.net> wrote:

> But what other and better word is there for the "space of meanings" that
> is created by Internet users through Internet use?

I think this is an important distinction to be made when we are coming
up with definitions. It is one thing to come up with a definition that
is technically correct. However, if you are studying people, you need
to take care to map the words they use onto the meaning they assign to
them. Web, internet, email, AOL, Internet Explorer... these can all
point to the same thing.

(I realize this is not a major revelation to anyone on the list.
However, I think it is important to consider before spiralling into a
definition exercise.)

Cheers,

Ed