[Air-l] login/logon resolution

Barry Wellman wellman at chass.utoronto.ca
Wed Mar 2 12:12:52 PST 2005

Thanks to everyone who took the time to comment on the login/logon
question (plus its out/off variants). As I had suspected, there is no
consensus. Stimulated by your responses, I've meditated and decided to use
"login" wherever possible.
Reason?
Pause to allow Politically Correct to avert their eyes:

Login implies a zen-like oneness, entry and interpenetration with the
computer.
Logon implies a dominance, with the computer as an external "other".

I've had an epiphany:
I know now that I am Logged In but not Logged On.
 Barry
(And then there is Tim Leary's "Turn on, Tune in, and Drop Out."

	  () ASCII ribbon campaign -- don't use HTML email
          /\