[Air-l] Utopian Shmutopian

Derek Mcmillan derekmcmillan1951 at yahoo.co.uk
Sat Mar 12 23:33:10 PST 2005

Gibson's Neuromancer is a bit of both. I was not
chilled by the idea of someone who was already dead
being a persona on the internet...I don't believe in
any other kind of immortality, One man's dystopia is
another man's utopia! Also Johnny Mnemonic highlights
the social divisions which he perceived as being
exacerbated by technology.

Sherry Turkle turned out to be powerfully prophetic in
"Life on the screen" when she talked about "RL" being
just another window and not always the most important one!