[Air-l] Internet vs. WWW

Ren Reynolds ren at aldermangroup.com
Mon Mar 21 02:30:10 PST 2005

Art >Incorrect. The Internet proper is a distributed network
of networks which consists of a common set of technical
protocols that serve as the foundation upon which almost all
CMC services or groups of services currently rest, including
the WWW.

The individual networks do not just consist of a common set
of protocols, they all use the TCP/IP set at the top level
and talk to each other using BGP (boarder gateway protocol).
However at lower levels some networks use protocols such as
ATM for what’s known as “traffic shaping” as the wild and
free nature of IP is all very well unless you’re trying to
manage a large network commercially. Also some networks carry
other protocols depending on what the network owner wants to
do with it. Increasingly the ‘internet’ bit is actually just
a virtual network or protocol bundle within a larger multi-
protocol network that is used for all sorts of things, the
reason being that providers are looking to consolidate old
data and voice networks on to a common set of fibre and big
routers such as the large Juniper ones. Thus networks are
common at one level and often heterogeneous at others.

>The Internet is essentially an open communications platform
and agreement upon which services are built.

Well, “agreements”. Typically ‘peering’ between two networks
that exchange similar volumes of traffic and ‘transit’ where
a smaller network buys up stream bandwidth from a larger
(generally better connected) one.

>The Internet itself doesn't do anything. What makes The
Internet special is what it allows you to build with it.

That’s moot I think. There is the so called end-to-end design
philosophy of the net which means that you keep the centre
dumb and leave the smart stuff at the outside. However DNS is
a distributed but hierarchal system with central servers.
SMTP is based on servers that can be argued to be in the net.
It’s arguable whether these constitute doing ‘anything’ or
not.

>The WWW is a subset and extension of the The Internet,
consisting of both a communications protocol (HTTP) and a
page markup language (HTML), whose specific purpose is the
presentation of information in a format that previously was
only possible via desktop publishing.

If WWW is a subset of the Internet and the internet existed
before WWW then Internet must denote the network of
interconnected networks and the set of common protocols that
run on those networks at any given time. Noting that the
protocols might change over time and that not all protocols
might be common to all networks at all times and that some
networks will run protocols that are exceptional; and that
network refers to some physical stuff and some virtual
networks that run on that physical stuff and, increasingly,
wireless networks.

So I guess what the term Internet is doing is picking out a
particular yet shifting group of protocols and services
embedded within a changing network of physical, virtual and
wireless networks and attendant contracts.

Ren