[Air-l] Re: MUDs, MOOs, MMRPGs, etc.

Dmitri Williams dcwill at uiuc.edu
Sat Mar 26 06:35:05 PST 2005

Folks considering questions relating to MUDs, MOOs, MMRPG,
and any other sundry acronyms relating to online virtual
worlds (competitive or otherwise) should point their
browsers to http://terranova.blogs.com/ where they will find
a vibrant blog comprised of academics and thoughtful game
designers. There is also a research rolodex on the right
that lists the now hundreds of researchers doing work in the
area. It's a great resource. The "embedded ethnographer"
would probably be one of these people, perhaps Constance
Steinkhueler at Wisconsin.

And, by the way, let me plug experiments and surveys as
worthwhile data collection techniques in MMRPGs. I do this,
and so do two enterprising Ph.D. students, Nick Yee at
Stanford and Fleming Seay at Carnegie Mellon.

It's worth noting that nearly every researcher in this area
is also a player, regardless of their primary research
method.

-Dmitri

message boards,

>> >From your analytical perspective would the MMPORGs (eg
Sims online,
>> >World of Warcraft, Second Life and so on) be the same as
MUDs?  I'd
>> >say that there would be plenty of people that don't know
a MUD from
>> >a MOO but are active MMPORGers.
>>
>> I agree - they follow similar logics - but several
players dont
>> necessarily know this.
>
>I think first of all we need a distinction here between
MMORPG games
>that are ostensibly about scoring points/leveling/advancing
(world of
>warcraft, knights of the old republic, everquest) and
simulation games
>which don't have any of that and are more about
>roleplaying/performativity (second life, there).  Correct
me if I'm
>wrong Radhika, you know I don't know much about history,
but this
>would be like the MUD/TinyMUD distinction, no?
>There are already several people doing research in both
fields:
>*http://socialstudygames.com/ is a site where a bunch of
ethnographers
>come together to post about their work
>*http://xirdal.lmu.de/ is a study of the quake modding
subculture,
>which is really interesting because of his research design.
>*http://www.alex.golub.name/log/ Alex Golub is a UChicago
PhD
>candidate who is working on a project in Second Life among
other
>places and teaches a class on this topic
>*there's definitely at least one other anthropologist who
calls
>herself an "embedded ethnographer" on an MMORPG but I can't
remember
>her name.
>>

>> >Do you think that the non-text based and unarchived
nature of the
>> >games might make them harder to study?
>>
>> I would say you can study this -  a triangulation of some
particular
>> methodologies would be useful - self-observation
(actually playing
>> and making notes), participant observation, reading
manuals, and
>> doing an observation of other players while they are
playing and you
>> are not, doing interviews...
>>
>> available static text transcripts are not necessarily the
best way
>> even with text based moos really.
>
>Of course you can study it!  How do you think ethnographers
work in
>the offline world?  No, it's not any harder--in some ways
as an
>anthropologist it's harder to have your fieldsite online
because you
>don't have the same Going To The Field separation
experience as other
>people do and thus you find yourself typically living life
half in the
>field and half at school and not doing either terribly
well.  I agree
>with Radhika.  Go take notes while watching people fragging
IRL at
>cons, if what you want to study is Quake.  Observe your own
>participation in the world.  Copy and paste text from the
talk
>channels.  Hang out in the world practicing some passive
skill like
>fishing or sitting around town so that you're a
participant, yet you
>can focus on chat.  You might also look at avatars and the
way they
>interact through emotes, and who follows who in groups.
The hard
>thing about studying some MMORPGs would be that most of the
activity
>takes place within clan groups, which means that you would
probably
>have to qualify and maintain the requirements to be in one
or maybe
>several.  This is also true of some simulation games,
surprisingly.