[Air-l] Ethnography vs. Ethnomethodology

cordelia at iinet.net.au cordelia at iinet.net.au
Thu Mar 31 07:18:58 PST 2005

Hi!

Ethnography primarily concerns itself with the prolonged study of a
group of people. This generally involves immersion and  participation
in their day to day lives in an attempt to discover who they think they
are, what they think they are doing and to what end they think they are
doing it. Ethnography may involve many methodologies to accomplish
this. Ethnomethodology, on the other hand, studies activities of group
members to discover how they make sense of their surroundings.  It
specifically studies how individuals give sense to and accomplish their
daily activities. It is not so much concerned with what they are doing
but rather how they make sense of it.

Cheers Sally