[Air-l] counting google hits

jeremy hunsinger jhuns at vt.edu
Fri Mar 4 13:43:58 PST 2005

> The proper query would of course have been
>
> http://www.googlefight.com/index.php?
> lang=en_GB&word1=%22internet+research%22&word2=sociology
>
> or,
>
> http://tinyurl.com/4mufc

no, that is what you think would be a proper query, but the query is
not the one that I wanted to have.  there is no 'propriety' to either.
it is a humorous toy.

> respectively, which soiology wins by a factor of 10. Still an
> underestimation, because "internet research" might refer to both
> research about the Internet or research conducted via the internet,
> but getting there.
>
>> we beat them all hands down....  granted of course.... mostly you can
>> orchestrate just about any result....
>
> No, you cannot. You have virtually no influence on the results of
> googlefight, which, of course, doesn't mean that you cannot fool it
> into results that *appear* nonsensical.

either way is nonsensical.  the point was to have fun, not to make an
argument as to which is larger or more important or to reveal
disciplinary biases, though.... several seem to have come out after the
fact :)

jeremy hunsinger
jhuns at vt.edu
www.cddc.vt.edu