[Air-l] we need a new word?

Lauren Squires squires at virginia.edu
Sat Mar 19 08:23:30 PST 2005

I am definitely looking forward to this discussion. I've
rather liked "CMC" but you're right Barry, no one wants to
have to explain that acronym - it's such a workout.  But I
think you have to specify the breadth of applications you
want the term to cover - I like "CTs"/"ICTs", but to me
that also includes phones/cell phones, which if you're
strictly talking about internet/online media you'll have
to qualify yet again: "internet/online CTs."  Explaining
the CTs/ICTs acronym is also a bit cumbersome. [Though
this seems the be the case with all of the basic
descriptive terms - "electronic," "technology,"
"communication," etc. Start putting any of them together
and you get a mouth/screenful. Not that this has been a
problem for scholarship before...e.g., whoever coined
"PoMo" was a genius...] I also realize the lines between
such technologies are blurry-blurring, which makes this
task really difficult.  But if you're talking about the
internet(s), I'm inclined to work "online" into it
somehow, at the risk of invoking a dubious
"online-offline" distinction.

LS