[Air-l] we need a new word?

Jean Burgess je.burgess at qut.edu.au
Sat Mar 19 15:28:30 PST 2005

On 20/3/05 1:45 AM, "jeremy hunsinger" <jhuns at vt.edu> wrote:

> I'm inclined to call these communications technologies, just that
> ICT's, sometimes when I am a bit adventurous, I might venture social
> media, sociable media or network technologies.  but.. they certainly
> aren't new media anymore, though the genre of new media still exists.

"Not new" for whom? And I don't mean just outside 'developed' countries -
I've consistently been amazed by the complete newness and downright
illegibility of say, the cultures of mailing lists, or blogging, for
high-achieving undergraduate students in all kinds of related fields (media
studies, cultural studies, even business and communications).

Another 2 cents: as someone sugggested, all these terms (Internet, new
media, ICTs) overlap but are not interchangeable - they all have their uses,
but 'internet' doesn't actually encompass everything that 'new media' does
(which might be concerned with, say, the convergence of TV, internet and
mobile phones, etc), and vice versa; same with ICTs.  I was using 'digital
culture' instead of 'new media' for a while - but reverted to new media
because I had to keep explaining what I meant all the time.

Jean

--
Jean Burgess
PhD Candidate

Z1-515, Creative Industries Precinct
Queensland University of Technology
Victoria Park Road, Kelvin Grove, QLD 4059

Phone: +617 3864 3818
Mobile: 0401 733 755
QUT CRICOS 00213J

Reviews editor, International Journal of Cultural Studies
Postgraduate representative, Cultural Studies Association of Australasia