[Air-l] we need a new word? (Intern)

jeremy hunsinger jhuns at vt.edu
Sun Mar 20 05:07:57 PST 2005

many of the descriptions so far take 'communication' as a the noun, and
while this is fine for some descriptions of some events, it tends to
leave out much of the rest of the ecological systems that these in
which these technics are enmeshed.  the objects that barry brought up,
were systems and technologies, onto which communication can be mapped,
onto which media can be mapped, but I think it should be very obvious
that when we are talking about their whole existence, from their
origination to their use, that not every part of that will be mapped by
communication and/or media.  most, but perhaps not all of their human
use could be said to be communication, but... what about installation,
and interface, they seem to be mediated experiences that don't always
pertain directly to communication, and while they might be mediated by
speaker or screen, that mediation might not encapsulate the whole
social imaginary that affects the world in which they are used.

the internet is the general network we study, which is a network of
networks, built on the principle that information can be encapsulated
in packets, and routed by defining the endpoint, thus allowing the
computers or relevant technologies to communicate.  computers and
technologies have devices that mediate the information that they
receive into user accessible experiences.  this is true insofaras I can
determine, so internet technologies will always be information
technologies, mediated technologies, and communication technologies in
some respect.  however, the technologies exist through society, and
individuals, both simplisticly as objects, but also in much more
complicated ways, that affect our lives, cultures, etc. -- our mental
ecology, our social ecology, and our environmental ecology.

so, that's why I use "ICT" and then describe what I'm talking about
further should the need arise.