[Air-l] Homeland Security's "network of networks"

Mary Bryson mary.bryson at ubc.ca
Mon Mar 21 11:29:27 PST 2005

Better tell Homeland Security about that terminological priority...

http://www.informationweek.com/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=18901928

"The Department of Homeland Security last week took a step toward resolving
the federal government's information-sharing problems. It signed up Northrop
Grumman Corp., in a deal worth up to $350 million, to build a secure network
that eventually will extend well beyond the department.

 Plans call for Northrop and several subcontractors to build the Homeland
Secure Data Network based on multiprotocol label switching. Some Homeland
Security sites will be using the network by year's end. Next year, Northrop
Grumman will begin linking it with secure networks at other agencies,
including the departments of Justice, State, and Energy, and the CIA and
FBI. Homeland Security then will decide which state- and local-government
networks to connect, with nearly all links projected to be in place by the
end of 2006.

 "We're building a network of networks to allow selected communities to talk
across different networks," Homeland Security chief technology officer Lee
Holcomb says. "It's a paradigm shift at the classified level.""