[Air-l] hanging out and mushes - performatively masculine still?

Radhika Gajjala radhika at cyberdiva.org
Thu Mar 24 16:02:59 PST 2005

At 12:47 PM 3/24/2005 -0500, you wrote:
>I'm also interested in what people have found on this issue.  It is worth
>noting that the mud I studied was more male-dominated (in both numbers and
>culture) than many, if not most, existing at that time.  That group still
>exists online (with some loss of original members and some new
>participants) and remains as male-dominated as ever.  But it has never
>been typical.

Lori - I really liked your book:)

>As for the young generation of mush-ers, how active and big is it?  Even
>among my most online-active students, only a very few even know what a
>mud/moo/etc. is.  They participate on message boards, blogs, IM, but don't
>mud.

I know (of) a few kids who still hang out and play in mushes (they also
tend to be offline "gamers" hanging out at hobby stores and so on - but I
really shouldnt generalise from my small "sample":)) - from College dorms
etc = so I think these environments are still being built and used.