[Air-l] Know of humanities/social science research on wireless?

Jill Walker jill.walker at uib.no
Wed May 11 00:40:39 PDT 2005

Some colleagues and I are planning a research project proposal about wireless
technology and its cultural uses. I'd love to know about any other research
projects that are looking at wireless technology from a humanities, arts or
social science point of view. I know of some interesting locative media
development projects (and, for instance, contagious media - this exhibition in
NYC looks great! http://www.newmuseum.org/now_cur_contagiousmedia.htm), but am
less aware of more theoretical research and would love to know more!

I do know of Nina Wakefield's work (heard her speak at ISEA: http://jilltxt.net/?
p=973) and Erkki Huhtamo's work on the history of mobile media (http://
jilltxt.net/?p=967) and I have a grad student working on pervasive games, which
is fascinating. But I'm sure there's a lot more!

Any ideas?

Jill