[Air-l] relation digital divide - knowledge gap

Danny Butt db at dannybutt.net
Wed May 11 17:32:21 PDT 2005

Hi Michaël

There are a number of ways of looking at this and it's possible to frame the
question in the way you do. Decisions on terminology reflect long-standing
political and disciplinary issues and I would be surprised if there was
consensus around the correctness of your proposition.

I would agree with 1), that knowledge is a social relationship and very
elusive as an object. Once could say that ICT skills = "knowledge" =
"resource" = "good". But the work of Eszter and others has made it clear
that the acquisition of such knowledge is not at all straightforward, even
if we agreed that it was valuable. (My view is that people like us who write
to academic listservs tend to assume that it's valuable :).

A more sceptical view would be to look at ICTs as part of a much larger set
of social and economic relationships, that informationalise resources with
unevenly distributed benefits. Some knowledge can be converted into material
resources more readily than others, but it's very difficult to measure the
knowledge, and I guess my question would be why introduce the "knowledge
gap" when you can track ICT use against more measurable "divides" like
increasing wage inequality? And even then ICT use itself is such a variable
field - I think the value of work like Kathryn Shaw in the volume I referred
to is that it addresses a specific field and looks at employment change,
something that people can give good information on, rather than a hypothesis
that treats all potential situations as a site of "the gap" rather than
addressing the relationships between one's object of study and what is
external to it.

Cheers,

Danny

--