[Air-l] re: transdisciplinarity

GTa3411203 at aol.com GTa3411203 at aol.com
Mon May 16 04:41:29 PDT 2005

The transdisciplinarity approach to researching human behaviors lends itself
well when technology is being used an enabler. I am finding it is necessary to
use this approach to doing research to gain a better understanding of the
different forces outside a specific discipline area that directly impacts human
behaviors that can be assessed internal to a specific discipline. For instance,
I am currently exploring how business organizations might use blogging as a
tacit knowledge management support tool. My discipline area is human resource
development. It is, though, necessary to take a look at the literature in any
number of disciplines (e.g., philosophy, sociology, psychology, computer
science) to gain insight as to how technology acts as an enabler in promoting human
behaviors that are influenced by cultural practices. Hope this makes sense.
:-) I am finding this approach to doing research is quite different as there is
no established body of literature and the need to be knowledgeable and
comfortable with spanning disciplines to seek out essential information to support
hypotheses.

Gail