[Air-l] Web death ?

Ren Reynolds ren at aldermangroup.com
Tue May 17 01:19:44 PDT 2005

I’d be interested in what that paper was too. I’d be very
surprised if it was EverQuest as back in 03 EverQuest was
still seeing subscription growth. Even now it has about half
a million subscribers though of course many have moved over
to EverQuest II.

MMOs might be a good counter to the thesis that on-line
communities are impermanent at least in the very short term,
especially as the bigger guilds are now going cross world.
For example, the guild I am a recent member of has a presence
in Lineage, Lineage II, EverQuest II and World of WarCraft.

We are also seeing other interesting group moves. There are,
for example, a number of game groups in Second Life that are
trying to keep the spirit of dead communities alive with a
highly mutable world. Then there is Meridian 59 which was
bought by some of the player / developers. That is in some
cases MMO communities are transcending the MMOs in which they
began or any given MMO.

ren
terranova.blogs.com
www.renreynolds.com