[Air-l] AOIR on AUT?

Ellis Godard egodard at csun.edu
Wed May 25 10:39:22 PDT 2005

Perhaps you misunderstand the AUT's blacklist, which itself is
political, whereas opposition to it is not. The blacklist interferes
with academic freedom, impeding the very plurality which, as you note,
the AOIR tries to advance, and inhibits international groups from
speaking equally.

The opposition to it is a-political, and includes a wide range of
organizations such as the National Academy of Sciences, the New York
Academy of Sciences, the American Association of University Professors,
the Middle East Studies Association, the American Political Science
Association, the American Mathematical Society, and even a local chapter
of the AUT.

What part of the AOIR population would be alienated by defending
academic interaction against the encroachment of politics?

-eg