[Air-l] the next executive and the future of aoir

Jeremy Hunsinger jhuns at vt.edu
Fri May 6 11:59:12 PDT 2005

I think it is very important for people to get involved in this
election,  and to nominate people to serve on the executive.   This
next period will be very important to AoIR, and there are quite a few
possible directions that the association might head, for instance:

Will we develop a journal? or adopt a journal? or something else?
Will we continue to pursue the Annual, or will we go a different
direction?
What will become of the website, wiki, conference system, and other
tools we use all the time?  Will we have to raise dues?
Will we begin offering competitive bursaries to the conferences to whom?
Will we standardize the conference or will we continue our 'every one
is unique style'?
Will we require full papers in future conferences?

Those are just a smattering of the issues that the exec will deal
with in the next two years, and many of them directly affect all of
you.  I'm sure the rest of the exec can think of even more issues and
I'm sure you can too.  So I'm encouraging you to participate in the
election, the discussions around it, to nominate people, and to
determine AoIR's future.

Personally, I know that I'm stepping down this term, though I might
stand for election in the future.  It has been a great experience,
and I'd continue it if I could, but I'm entering a new stage in my
career soon, and want to pursue a few other projects for a while.
Other original members of the exec are also reaching the end of their
terms and ex officio terms, so we need people to step up and take the
reins of AoIR, and help determine its future.

Let's open the discussion,

jeremy hunsinger
jhuns at vt.edu
www.cddc.vt.edu