[Air-l] what is the Association of Internet Researchers (AoIR)?

Jeremy Hunsinger jhuns at vt.edu
Sat May 7 05:07:51 PDT 2005

i just responded to the question off list, so i'll share my response
on list with some minor changes.

this response is being posted initally to the list known as air-l
which is @aoir.org.  air-l is an open list provided by the
Association of Internet Researchers.

-----

The Association of Internet Researchers is an academic association
dedicated to the advancement of the cross-disciplinary field of
Internet studies. It is a resource and support network promoting
critical and scholarly Internet research independent from traditional
disciplines and existing across academic borders. The association is
international in scope.

----

in short, we are an academic association. Other academic assocations
are: the american sociological association,  the society for the
social study of science, and others. there are larger and smaller
associations, and there are disciplinary and interdisciplinary
association.

we are incorporated in the u.s. as a non-profit 503c. the officers
and the executive board determine almost everything about the
association.

air-l membership gets you reduced journal subscription rates, reduced
book purchase costs at some presses, and reduced fees for the
associations annual conference  Internet Research, currently in its
sixth year.

jeremy hunsinger
jhuns at vt.edu
www.cddc.vt.edu