[Air-l] terminology to describe developing countries

Carolyn Wei cwei at u.washington.edu
Tue May 10 11:35:36 PDT 2005

Hello,
A few weeks ago I asked for input from this list on terminology to
describe developing countries that had some analog technological
infrastructure, if not the most digital, cutting-edge stuff. I had been
calling such places "digitally emergent."

Here's a synthesis of the comments I received from others on the topic,
which are helpful for providing a more granular understanding of the words
I've heard or used to describe developing places.

* Second World (as in First, Second, and Third World. see
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Second_World) -- very problematic term. It
has ambiguous, multiple meanings. It is obsolete in the sense that it
references a Soviet presence that no longer exists.

* Fourth World -- see Manuel Castells' work. socially powerless
places/people such as women, children, or ethnic minorities. Can mean
ethnic minority populations who are not fully represented by their
nation-state/government. Can also suggest completely unindustrialized
places.

* Information rich or information poor. a way to characterize societies as
they transition to knowledge-based economies. "Information rich" suggests
people with access to information, e.g., through the Web, newspapers, etc.
This rich/poor split can apply to international digital divides as well as
domestic divides (like well-connected/not connected people and places in
the US)

* Technology adoption terms applied to countries (see WIPO
http://www.wipo.int/copyright/ecommerce/en/html/index.html#5 ; these terms
are taken from the UNDP Human Development Report 2001
http://hdr.undp.org/reports/global/2001/en/pdf/completenew.pdf). These
reference the amount of technological and human resources that are present
for technology adoption:

"leaders" - e.g., Finland, US, Japan
"potential leaders" - e.g., Mexico, Greece, Czech Republic
"dynamic adopters" - e.g., Philippines, Brazil, China
"marginalized" - e.g., Sudan, Senegal, Nepal

Thanks!

Carolyn Wei
Dept. of Technical Communication
University of Washington