[Air-l] british boycott over

Barry Wellman wellman at chass.utoronto.ca
Thu May 26 08:48:07 PDT 2005

Although there are counter-arguments to the anti-Israeli posting
yesterday, I agree with Jeremy Hunsinger that they are out of place on
this list.

But since the issue has been brought up, my position is that professional
societies should be extraordinarily cautious about encouraging boycotts of
universities. I don't believe in collective punishment, even if there was
a crime -- and there are different sets of "facts"  floating around on
this matter. Hence, I have worked a bit to encourage the ending of the
boycott. And am glad that it happened.

For reasons of the first para, I won't respond to any postings about the
boycott -- or Israel -- on this list and urge us all to refocus on AOIR
stuff.

 Barry