[Air-l] references on Virtual Learning communities

Laura O'Grady l.ogrady at sympatico.ca
Fri May 27 08:49:54 PDT 2005

>Do you know of any authoritative articles/references that can support the
>usefulness of virtual learning communities.
>
>I am interested in potential benefits for teachers sharing their
>experiences in math and science teaching.

I would take a look at Barab's work, either

Barab, S. A., MaKinster, J. G., Moore, J. A., & Cunningham, D. J. (2001).
Designing and building an on-line community: The struggle to support
sociability in the Inquiry Learning Forum. from
http://inkido.indiana.edu/research/onlinemanu/papers/etrdilf.pdf

or

Barab, S. A. (2003). Designing for virtual communities in the service of
learning. Information Society, 19(3), 1-7.

to start.

Laura
_

Laura O'Grady