[Air-l] AOIR on AUT

Bernie Hogan bernie.hogan at utoronto.ca
Sat May 28 00:58:35 PDT 2005

Derek,

Not supporting AUT is of course a political gesture, although perhaps a more
conservative and/or easy one. I don't know. But I don't think that's what
was what people had in mind as apolitical earlier (namely Barry and Jeremy).

By encouraging the group to take a political stance can likely marginalize
those that don't agree. Its not really a sensible move to make when we want
a coherent and welcoming group on topics relating to the social impact of
the Internet.

I don't want you to feel unwelcome because you support AUT any more than I
want others to feel unwelcome because they don't. It just seems far enough
out of AoIR's range that energy directed towards this issue could be spent
better in a host of other groups that are more effectively poised to take
action and/or discuss the intricacies of this issue.

To restate, its not that I want to silence discussion on AUT, but rather
that I don't want AUT to silence discussion on Internet research topics.

But that's just my opinion, and hey, I haven't yet paid my dues this year :O

Take Care,
BERNiE

Bernie Hogan
PhD Student
Department of Sociology
NetLab, Knowledge Media Design Institute
University of Toronto

I received a message from Derek McMillan at approximately 5/28/05 2:33 AM.
Above is my reply.