[Air-l] AOIR on AUT

mboudour at upatras.gr mboudour at upatras.gr
Sat May 28 01:53:06 PDT 2005

On Sat, 28 May 2005, Bernie Hogan wrote:

> Derek,
>
> Not supporting AUT is of course a political gesture, although perhaps a more
> conservative and/or easy one. I don't know. But I don't think that's what
> was what people had in mind as apolitical earlier (namely Barry and Jeremy).
>
> By encouraging the group to take a political stance can likely marginalize
> those that don't agree. Its not really a sensible move to make when we want
> a coherent and welcoming group on topics relating to the social impact of
> the Internet.

I'm wondering why is it so difficult to suspect that there is a proper
dilemma in action over here? What makes people sensible to one side and
not the other one? Isn't there a common argument behind those "encouraging
the people to take a political stance" and those protecting the group from
"marginalizing those that don't agree"?

My feeling is that many people who want to "politicalize" the discussions
in a mailing list are doing this deliberately in the sense that they
are committed in the importance and the necessity of the political in a
discussions forum. Typically sensibilities on issues of social justice are
intersecting with the political.

What strikes me is the persistence of certain among those who want to
preserve a non-political character in a mailing list claiming that their
motivations are a-political. I'm not questioning their right to do so. I'm
just surprised with the reluctance of certain people to discern moral
incomensurabilities and value pluralisms. (After all, as a "mathematician"
I would like to have a proof of both the obvious and the details.)

What has changed all these centuries since Aristotle's conception of the
political?

Hasn't history taught us anything after all?

Well, I could only assume that indeed "some among the Great Gods" of ours
is very difficult to "live together" (Isaiah Berlin).

--Moses (praying for pluralism in this mailing list.. :-)

  M.A. Boudourides
  Associate Professor

  Department of Mathematics
  University of Patras