[Air-l] Down to the Wire (Intern)

richard-seyler.ling at telenor.com richard-seyler.ling at telenor.com
Tue May 3 09:15:36 PDT 2005

There is quit a bit of stuff that argues the Internet question back and forth in the US.  Norman Nie and Robert Kraut discuss some of the negative sides while Kavanaugh and Jim Katz/Ron Rice (among others) report on the positive dimensions of Internet use.

People who use the mobile telephone particularly for texting, more reported increased types of informal social contact.   With mobile telephony the key thing seems to be that it provides ready access to social networks for the individual and thus lowers the threshold for inclusion. You can find the documentation along with other material at: http://www.eurescom.de/e-living/.   Other research (for example Reid and Reid have found with a small sample that SMS use tends to make smaller but more intense social relationships.

I hope that this helps.

Rich L.