[Air-l] the next executive and the future of aoir

Nancy Baym nbaym at ku.edu
Sat May 7 09:49:12 PDT 2005

Let me add also that it's not just the interdisciplinarity of AoIR
that makes it fun and interesting (although that's one of its primary
appeals for me and many others), it's also the internationalism. In
order to be as truly international as internet research is, the
executive committee should reflect the internationalism of its
members and potential members.

I'll also concur with my fellow exec members that running this
association is a great chance to shape the focus of the association,
to network with other internet researchers, and if one is active as
an exec member, it can be an extremely rewarding personal and
professional experience. I've been involved with AoIR since the fall
of 1998, and few professional activities come anywhere close to the
rewards of that involvement.

On another note, because AoIR has grown considerably in a short time
(we were first imagined in 1998 and held our first meeting in 2000),
and done so pretty smoothly without too many obvious public
disasters, people often have the sense that we've got it all under
control -- that there is a long line of people willing to do the work
it takes to make it happen, that there are professional staff making
things run, that we have offices somewhere out of which all this
happens. In reality, AoIR exists and functions only because of the
volunteer efforts of a handful of individuals. After several years of
work, many of us are stepping down this year, and if AoIR is going to
continue, energetic people willing to put in effort for the good of
the association and the personal (and professional) rewards that
offers will have to replace us. AoIR will become what our
replacements make it. This association is yours. The way to make it
what you want it to be is by running for office.

Nancy

--
Nancy Baym	http://www.ku.edu/home/nbaym
Communication Studies, University of Kansas