[Air-l] relation digital divide - knowledge gap

Paula pmg at gmx.co.uk
Thu May 12 05:36:07 PDT 2005

Yes, an empirical study should address itself to something which *is*
actually measurable, at least statistically. Even so, there may still be
structural cultural assumptions which need unpacking.

I think most people would accept knowledge as a value -- "knowledge"
pretty much encompasses the whole of human endeavour from how to make
organised communicative sounds and chip flint tools to how to build a
digital library. Who gets to define criteria for knowledge evaluation?
And do we all accept that only knowledges which can be converted to
exchange values are to be valued? Because this assumption does seem to
be becoming increasingly structural to academic endeavour in a
marketised system and is rapidly ceasing to be "marked" as a culturally
specific assumption at all.

If the point of the study in question is to explain and address economic
exclusion in capitalist economies proceeding from disadvantaged groups
becoming differently skilled, it would seem important to explore the
question of what constitutes "skill" or "knowledge" and how their value
is measured. The assumption that only knowledges which can be exchanged
for money within a capitalist system are valuable (or exist at all) is
effectively built into the formulation of a "knowledge gap" itself. If
this isn't deconstructed, the study will just contribute, once again, to
renewed economic enforcement of ruling class knowledge values.

Renewed efforts will then be made to get economically excluded groups to
devalue knowledges specific to their environment and adopt knowledges
for which they have no use (because they do not address the immediate
environment or provide knowledges which this specific group actually
*can* convert to money). These knowledges will be largely rejected by
the recipients who can't find a use for the knowledge offered (it has no
application in their context). The effects of this effort will then be
measured according to the values and assumptions of those constructing
the study/skills programme and the poor will be found to be "less"
again. QED: the poor are poor cos they're failing.

This assumption that economically excluded groups within capitalism
possess *less* knowledge ought to be deconstructed. Are we measuring
knowledge by the kilo or the pound? As has been a perennial source of
film comedies, a yuppie abandoned in the wilderness would become
dependent on bushmen who have the specific skills to exploit that
enviornment. Tarzan in New York is equally amusing. So, are we looking
at the specific knowledges required to facilitate specific modes of
social and economic life?  And how do we assess the value of these
different cultural/economic spaces? Is how rich they are in terms of
money income going to be the dipstick again? Can the poor only "better
themselves" by obliging the middle-class liberal will to elide class
difference (by homogenising themselves with middle class knowledge values)?

Paula