[Air-l] COMMUNITY DEVELOPMENT: JoCDS ... Special Issue on CI and CD

Michael Maranda mmaranda at afcn.org
Sat Nov 5 07:24:44 PST 2005

Friends,

Upon my return from recent travels I was very excited to find waiting in my
bushel of mail:  "Community Development: the Journal of the Community
Development Society, vol 36, No 1, special issue on "Community Informatics
and Community Development" with Kenneth Pigg as Guest Editor.

Unfortunately the abstracts are not available online (yet?)
 but I hope that
the titles and authors I will list will prompt you to consider how we in the
broader Community ICT field can work more closely together with
organizations such as the Community Development Society:
http://www.comm-dev.org

Their conference will be next June in St. Louis, and is themed "Communities
that Click"
 unfortunately their site indicates that the call for abstracts
closed Oct 31
 but I am sure that committed and interested parties can be
accomodated
  it would be really great for Community Informatics, Community
Networking, CTC and Community Development folks to connect there.  We really
are in an era of a convergences.

Titles and authors in this special issue:

Introduction:  Community Informatics and community Development
. Kenneth E.
Pigg

Bowling Alone and Online Together:  Social Capital in E-Communities
. James
K. Scott & Thomas G. Johnson
Library and Information Science (LIS) and Community Development: The Use of
Community ICT towards a Social Equity Agenda
.  Bharat Mehra
Information Technology and Community-Level Socio-Economic Development
 Greg
Laudeman
Internet Purchases by Rural Residents:  Implications for Community
Development
 Norman Walzer & Justin Colavito
Do Information and Communication Technologies Promote Rural Economic
Development? .
 Kenneth E Pigg & Laura D. Crank
Participatory Action Research for Electronic Community Networking Projects

Larry Stillman
Bulding Knowledge, Buidling Community: Integrating Internet Access to
Secondary Data as Part of the Commity Development Process
 Julie N.
Zimmerman and Alissa Meyer
The Technology Opportunities Program (TOP): Networking our Nation -- A
Decade of Lessons Learned
 Amy Borgstrom, Don Druker & Judith Sparrow

A good number of recognizable names!

The Journal is avialble with membership in CDS, but I can't find info at the
moment as to ordering individual copies by other means
.

Regards,

MM

Michael Maranda
President, The Association For Community Networking (AFCN)
http://www.afcn.org
Executive Director, CTCNet Chicago Chapter
http://www.ctcnetchicago.org
Co-Chair, Illinois Community Technology Coalition (ilCTC)
http://www.ilctc.org
Vice President, CAAELII
http://www.caaelii.org
Vice President, NPOTechs
http://www.npotechs.org

Attend the Illinois Community Technology Conference, November 16-17, 2005.
http://www.ctcnetchicago.org/conference