[Air-l] facebook

Lauren Squires squires at virginia.edu
Sun Nov 27 09:32:08 PST 2005

I don't recall whether a discussion regarding eulogizing on social
networking sites was ever sparked by this, but it's happening also here now,
again with the Facebook profile of an undergraduate found dead last week.
Short article here:
http://www.charlottesvillenewsplex.tv/home/headlines/1999437.html

Really interesting how it is a space for sentimentality but also a resource
for finding out more about a person you didn't know well, or getting a
better idea of who that you know might be personally affected by the
tragedy, as Jiliana's student points out.

On a design note, it's interesting that sites like Facebook and Myspace
enable this kind of discourse by providing "comments" or "wall posts" that
don't have to be approved or moderated by the user whose profile it is -
whereas this wouldn't be possible on Friendster because users have to
approve testimonials before they appear.

Lauren