[Air-l] Blogging basics?

Ren Reynolds ren at aldermangroup.com
Tue Nov 29 13:30:22 PST 2005

My main interest in this area is that I am a contributor to a joint academic
blog called TerraNova. From persona experience it is certainly interesting
that impact that this blog has on academic debate, industry debate and my
own personal standing in each.

I don't particularly follow the academic work on blogging but I think the
area that I would follow if I did is the whole one about the way that
blogging challenges certain ideas about the legitimacy of media. A specific
example is the recent debate in the US about what rights the press have in
virtue of them being 'the press' and how (at least from news coverage) it
seems to be that established interest in both the press and law making are
portrayed as wanting to structure affordances in such a way that they do not
extend to bloggers.

In personal experience this comes down to little things like - do I get a
(free) press pass to an event or not. Generally speaking in the computer
games world I have no problem as I would suggest that our blog is seen a
more legitimate than much of the online and print culture.

Other than the normative spins on: what is that counts as legitmate and what
does legitimate count for, ares that strike me as ethically interesting are
those to do with marginalised voices, whistle blowing, public vs private -
especially when it comes to corporate affairs etc.

Ren