[Air-l] suggestions for lurking researcher?

Heidelberg, Chris Chris.Heidelberg at ssa.gov
Fri Nov 4 14:22:03 PST 2005

Thanks Denise! This article was helpful because I am doing my dissertation
on "Edutainment & Convergence: How Entertainment Techniques Can Be Utilized
In Higher Education." This article is interesting because it mentions a fact
that I have discovered in my research since 9/2003 when I began my doctoral
program in higher education administration: there is only limited meaningful
empirical research to guide and enhance the quality of distance learning.
Australia, Canada and Great Britain appear to be ahead of us here in the
United States on applying distance learning. In fact, most of the meaningful
research that I found that specifically helped me emanated from those
nations. This does not mean that the U.S. does not have some success
stories. However, the U.S. appears to have allowed distance learning,
especially online learning, to become dominated by for profit institutions
which may be a problem.

Specifically, because of this problem, I am investigating another model. I
am looking at the technology and entertainment practitioners as my subjects
for my qualitative study. After graduation or if I receive funding, I will
hire and find a great quantitative researcher/statistician and I will do a
larger study, and from that sample I will continue my qualitative efforts.
Since I already work as a producer/director/writer, I know fellow
practitioners in Hollywood, Houston/San Antonio, Miami/Palm Beach and here
in the Washington/Baltimore area. I have conducted a few pilot studies and I
am working on an interactive website. If you know of any articles that you
believe can help me, please forward them to me. I really want to contact
James Gee because he has some provocative thoughts on edutainment. It may
not be a panacea but it has some merits.