[Air-l] CFP: SALSA 2006

Kris Markman jho-kmm at mail.utexas.edu
Thu Nov 10 20:11:26 PST 2005

Note: Susan Herring will be a keynote speaker

CALL FOR PAPERS: SALSA 2006
please post/distribute/forward

The Symposium About Language and Society-Austin is pleased to announce its 14th
Annual Meeting to be held April 7-9, 2006 at the University of Texas at Austin.
We encourage the submission of abstracts on research that addresses the
relationship of language to culture and society. Desired frameworks include but
are not limited to:

Linguistic Anthropology
Sociolinguistics
Ethnography of Communication
Language and Identity
Speech Play, Verbal Art, and Poetics
Language, Media, and Technology
Language and Social Interaction
Discourse Analysis & Conversation Analysis
Language Vitality
Language Socialization
Gesture and Talk in Interaction
Language and Politics

2006 KEYNOTE SPEAKERS
Kira Hall, University of Colorado at Boulder
John Haviland, Reed College
Susan Herring, Indiana University
Qing Zhang, University of Texas at Austin

Papers delivered at the conference will be published as a special edition of
the Texas Linguistic Forum. Speakers will be allowed 20 minutes for
presentation
and 10 minutes for discussion. Papers will be selected on the basis of a blind
review process.

Please send submissions to SALSA 2006 through the online submission form on the
SALSA web page. All submissions must include TWO abstracts: An extended
abstract not to exceed 4,100 characters and spaces (approximately 600 words),
including references and examples; and a shorter abstracts not to exceed 1,100
spaces and characters (approximately 150 words). Please note that the online
submission form does not accept special formatting or text such as IPA.  Only
electronic submissions sent through our online form will be accepted.  The
abstract submission system will be available beginning November 22, 2005. Each
person is limited to ONE submission as the primary author; multiple submissions
by the same first author will not be accepted.

Visit the SALSA web page for submission guidelines and conference details and
to submit your abstract:
http://studentorgs.utexas.edu/salsa/

Deadline for receipt of abstracts is Tuesday, JANUARY 17, 2006. Late
submissions will not be accepted, and we cannot accept papers that
are to be published
elsewhere. Notification of acceptance will be sent in mid-February 2006.
Pre-registration fees will be $25 for students and $50 for non-students, and
on-site registration fees will be $30 for students and $60 for non-students.

Contact us at:	SALSA
University of Texas at Austin
Department of Linguistics
1 University Station Stop B5100