[Air-l] informal vs. formal networks in the uptake of ICTs

Elizabeth Van Couvering e.j.van-couvering at lse.ac.uk
Wed Nov 23 01:16:29 PST 2005

I remember that Maria Bakardjieva wrote about the "warm expert" - ie
the friend who is also an expert in IT - as an important element of
the introduction to the Internet for most people - in one of her
articles. It's a qualitative study, I don't know if you are looking
for that or not.  Sorry I can't remember which one it is.

Bakardjieva, M., & Smith, R. (2001). The internet in everyday life:
computer networking from the standpoint of the domestic user. New
Media & Society, 3(1), 67-83.
or
Bakardjieva, M. (2003). Virtual togetherness: an everyday-life
perspective. Media, Culture & Society, 25(3), 291-314.

Elizabeth