[Air-l] Blogging basics?

Alex Halavais halavais at gmail.com
Tue Nov 29 10:59:24 PST 2005

Charles,

That's a big chunk. If you are looking to pass on the bare basics, I
highly recommend the short pamphlet from Reporters Without Borders:

http://www.rsf.org/rubrique.php3?id_rubrique=542

Beyond this, a number of folks have tried to make explicit an ethics
of blogging, particularly related to maintaining the privacy of
others. Some have borrowed from the SPJ's code:

http://www.cyberjournalist.net/news/000215.php

Though similar codes could be taken, e.g., from the CPSR's code.

There have been a number of examples of ethical (and legal) concerns
revolving around blogging practices. A small sampling might include:

1. Spam blogs (aka "splogs") and businesses setting up blogs that are
supposedly by disinterested individuals.

2. Issues of privacy borders: e.g., the "nanny diaries" issue that
appeared in the NYT and on a nanny's blog:
http://www.nytimes.com/2005/07/17/fashion/sundaystyles/17LOVE.html?ex=1279252800&en=2aa784f268adbfde&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss

3. Questions (again recapped from journalism) about whether bloggers
should be paid, and whether they should disclose payments. Some of
this arose around bloggers for the Dean campaign, and it has shown up
elsewhere. A number of bloggers post their own policies.

4. Issues regarding editorial policies. E.g., the recent furor over
Bitch, Ph.D. banning a discussant. See:
http://www.erinoconnor.org/archives/2005/11/of_blogs_commen.html

This is just for starters :).

Alex