[Air-l] suggestions for lurking researcher?

jespert jespert at itu.dk
Fri Nov 4 06:17:56 PST 2005

Dear Charles,

I would say that this one is easiest to understand using a theoretical
framework. For example in a mailing list communicating open source you
have no argument telling that an application is economically seen the
best solution - you have to talk about effective/not effective. Or in a
newsgroup communicating love you have no argument telling that one
relationship would be more rational than another.

Many social systems can be described as linked to a special symbolical
generalized communication medium like technology (effective/not
effective), and the others, you know Luhmann describes about 10 power,
love, economy& as I have been discussing with you in Copenhagen.

I have found that the group about animals (that I mentioned to Emilie in
the former mails) has an interpretation scheme linked to their history
of interaction were you e.g. must love your pet, you must pay what it
cots if it get sick etc. So in relation to the different symbolical
generalized communication media there are formed what I call a border of
meaning through the online communities history of interaction,
describing what arguments that have the best probability for acceptance
in different groups.

Power is a symbolical generalized communication medium (position/
opposition) itself and many online communities discuss politic, but in
every social system power like the other codes are in play: In the group
communicating open source, people that can handle the code of technology
will keep position as long as the border of meaning supports it, no
matter what moral etc. arguments you have. In the group about pets you
have to handle all the codes in relation to pets that are provided by
the history of interactions in that group.

I think that the social has become much more selective with the digital
interaction media  now communication can be cut down to a very narrow
definition on what we can talk about and in what tone  but ok this also
enable discussions between like minded about very specialized and
differentiated topics without interruptions.

Have a nice weekend
Jesper